The worlds of artificial intelligence (AI), natural language processing (NLP), chatbots, and machine learning are vast. The potential use cases for each can change dramatically based on your goals; however, it is important to remember NLP, machine learning, and AI are already enmeshed in aspects of our lives.
Here are a few examples of AI and chatbots from daily life:
- Machine Learning: Researchers load 100 years of weather data into a program that forecasts weather for the next calendar year.
- Natural Language Processing: Every time you ask Siri, Cortana, or Alexa to perform a task like sending a reminder text about an upcoming investor meeting. And bots are used to answer some requests.
- Artificial Intelligence: A creative agency uses a proprietary chatbot to schedule staff meetings and send project updates.
Bots are part of this disjointed, emerging ecosystem of iterative and interactive technology. Chatbots in particular are a form of artificial intelligence as they automate and mimic human responses. Depending on the request, the bot will rely on natural language processing for the response.
Why do chatbots matter?
For small businesses, chatbots can save employees time and provide value to website visitors. Chatbots can address common questions and elevate resources, all based on key phrases a visitor types into the chat window.
Understanding chatbots basics
Before creating a bot, read about the important differences between artificial intelligence, natural language processing, and machine learning. Understanding this alone will empower you to know, lead, and navigate the development process.
Not sure where to start?
Register for free to make sure you get the latest on trends and use cases for AI and chatbots. The conversation will help you think differently about reaching customers and feel more comfortable with the latest tech lingo.
Design your conversation framework
Finally, but not least important, think about the conversational messaging strategy as much as you think about chatbot architecture. Here’s a visual from HubSpot about how to design a customer centered approach.
- How to build a chatbot (Moz)
- How to create a chat box framework (chatbots Magazine)
- Explainer: chatbot vs Bot vs Robot (HubSpot)
Bring your AI and chatbot questions to the Philly HUG event on June 26th, 6-8pm.